TipsClick here to view our newest Remodeling Tips Videos.
- Dark colors of Corian countertops will wear and tear more noticeably because the scratches are light. We suggest using quartz or granite when dark colors are desired. -
- Do not use "furniture polish" to clean your Kitchen or Bath Cabinetry. - Kitchen Concepts
- Yes - you can under mount a sink in laminate countertops! - Kitchen Concepts
- Cabinet Refacing is a great option to completely replacing cabinetry and can save you money! - Kitchen Concepts
- When doing an exterior remodel or landscaping, make sure to include plenty of lighting and be aware of where large plants and shrubs are in relation to windows and window wells to avoid giving cover to potential burglars. - Custom Alarm/Custom Communications, Inc.
- Simply replacing your cabinet doors and drawer fronts can make your Kitchen feel like a whole new space! - Kitchen Concepts
- Make sure all exterior doors are solid wood, steel, or fiberglass, and include a solid deadbolt lock with a minimum 1” throw; don’t forget the garage service door because that is a common point of entry for burglars. - Custom Alarm/Custom Communications, Inc.
- Security systems can add more than just protection against intrusion; with smoke and heat detectors, low temperature sensors, carbon monoxide sensors, and flood sensors to protect your most important investment. - Custom Alarm/Custom Communications, Inc.
- Use motion lights or dusk-to-dawn timer lights at all door entries including garage entry, exterior side entries, and/or back entry doors to deter burglars. - Custom Alarm/Custom Communications, Inc.
- Don’t leave ladders, tools, or anything else that can be easily stolen or used to break into your home lying around during construction. Make sure to put away ladders or other objects that would assist a burglar in reaching an upper window. - Custom Alarm/Custom Communications, Inc.
- Make sure your exterior remodel includes your house number clearly displayed and well-lit at night, so that law enforcement or other emergency services can easily find your home in the event of an emergency. - Custom Alarm/Custom Communications, Inc.
- Ensure privacy fences are not giving cover to someone trying to break into your home. - Custom Alarm/Custom Communications, Inc.
- Use light timers or home automation systems to ensure you don’t come home to a dark house and to give your house that “lived-in look” even when you are away. - Custom Alarm/Custom Communications, Inc.
- Test your smoke detectors monthly and replace them per manufacturer’s recommendations – most have a lifespan of 10 years. - Custom Alarm/Custom Communications, Inc.
- Have all fuel-burning appliances, such as oil and gas furnaces, gas water heaters, gas ranges and ovens, gas dryers, gas or kerosene space heaters, fireplaces, and wood stoves, inspected by a trained professional at the beginning of each heating season to ensure that flues and chimneys are connected, in good condition, and not blocked. - Custom Alarm/Custom Communications, Inc.
- Choose appliances that vent their fumes to the outside whenever possible, and have them properly installed and maintained according to the manufacturers’ instructions. - Custom Alarm/Custom Communications, Inc.
- Don’t idle the car in a garage, even with the garage door open, as fumes can build up very quickly in the garage and, if you have an attached garage, in the living area of your home. - Custom Alarm/Custom Communications, Inc.
- Never use a gas oven to heat your home, even for a short time, or use a charcoal grill indoors, even in the fireplace. - Custom Alarm/Custom Communications, Inc.
- View your granite slabs with your purchased countertops. -
- When picking out your countertops, bring a door sample, flooring, paint, or any other materials involved in the project. -
- Seal your granite countertops annually for the best performance. -
- Use a 100% cast iron kitchen sink for high performance and stylish appearance. Kohler offers a 100% cast iron sink available in a variety of shapes and colors that include a lifetime warranty against chipping, cracking, and staining. -
- Many countertop manufacturers produce materials with recycled content. -
- Recycled glass countertops are very unique. The variations in the pattern and distribution of glass are part of its beauty. Recycled glass countertops are manufactured with reclaimed glass from everyday items; each color has a story behind it. -
- Use domestic granite countertops to keep your project local and environmentally friendly. -
- Choose a toilet that meets the WaterSense Standards (20% less water used than the standard 1.6 gallon toilet) to conserve water usage. -
- Water filtration faucets can be green and cost effective. All over the world we consume more bottled water that costs 1900 times the price of tap water and most of the plastic ends up in landfills. -
- You may be able to buy plumbing fixtures anywhere in town or on the internet, but are they manufactured the same? For example you can buy a Kohler kitchen faucet with ceramic disc valves from a Kohler showroom, but at a big box store it has brass valves. The price is definitely going to be different and so will the performance and longevity of the faucet. -
- A squeegee swiped on your glass shower door after each use will help to keep hard water spots at bay. - Hentges Glass Company
- Rain-X periodically applied to the inside of your glass shower doors will help with water spots and cleaning. - Hentges Glass Company
- Robe hooks or towel bars can be added onto the existing glass of your shower door for an instant space saver. - Hentges Glass Company
- When planning to put new appliances into an existing kitchen, it's important to know the maximum dimension for each unit you'll be replacing. This way you won't waste time and energy looking at appliances that don't fit. - Warners' Stellian Appliance Co., Inc.
2014 Remodelers Tour
September 13-14, 2014